This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published September 23, 2013
|Monday, September 23|
|#17 Men's Golf at RMAC #1||Durango, Colo.||11:30 a.m.|
|Men's Soccer at Colorado Mesa||Grand Junction, Colo.||6 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Tuesday, September 24|
|#17 Men's Golf at RMAC #2||Durango, Colo.||9:30 a.m.|
|Wednesday, September 25|
|Women's Soccer vs. Colorado Christian||Mountain Lion Stadium||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Friday, September 27|
|Men's Soccer vs. #22 Fort Lewis||Mountain Lion Stadium||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Volleyball at Black Hills State||Spearfish, S.D.||7 p.m.||Live Video|
|Saturday, September 28|
|Volleyball at Chadron State||Chadron, Neb.||6 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Sunday, September 29|
|Women's Golf at Adams State Tournament||Alamosa, Colo.||9 a.m.|
|Women's Soccer vs. #13 Colorado Mines||Mountain Lion Stadium||11 a.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Soccer vs. #17 Colorado Mines||Mountain Lion Stadium||2 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
Women's Soccer (5-0 / 2-0 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions return home and will play for the chance to improve to 7-0 with a Wednesday night game with Colorado Christian and Sunday morning game with No. 13 Colorado Mines.
- UCCS is one of 11 teams in Division II that is undefeated this season. The Mountain Lions are 5-0 for the second straight season, and if they win both games this week, will be 7-0 for the first time in program history.
- Agnes Arnadottir broke the UCCS career record for goals scored with the game-winner against Adams State last Friday. She has 47 career points and needs two more to tie Julia Saenz' record set in 2008-11.
- Kelly Schroeder has recorded three straight shutouts to increase her career total to 18. She is seventh in RMAC career records and needs five to tie for sixth.
Men's Soccer (1-1-1 / 0-0-1 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions are back at home this weekend with a pair of nationally-ranked opponents. Friday brings No. 22 Fort Lewis, while Sunday brings No. 17 Colorado Mines.
- UCCS has had two games impacted due to weather. After the game with Midwestern State on Sept. 15 was cancelled, the Sept. 22 game with Colorado Mesa was postponed until Monday in Grand Junction, Colo.
- Brandon Costa recorded his second shutout in his second start against Metro State last Friday. He's one of two goalies in Division II who haven't allowed a goal this season and helped the Mountain Lions rank seventh in the nation for shutout percentage.
- The tie at Metro State was the first tie or win at Metro State since 2003.
Volleyball (5-5 / 1-1 RMAC)
- UCCS goes back on the road for matches on the northern edge of the conference at Black Hills State and Chadron State on Friday and Saturday, respectively. The Mountain Lions went 4-0 against the teams last season.
- The Mountain Lions are coming off of a pair of five-set matches - one a win against Colorado Christian and one against then-No. 19 Colorado Mines.
- Kristen Sciacca hit .520 against the Orediggers on Saturday night, good for the seventh-best mark in a five-set match in program history. She's ranked third in the RMAC and No. 11 in Division II with a .411 hitting percentage.
- UCCS is leading the RMAC with 1.36 service aces per set. Kim Catlett has the highest average for the Mountain Lions and is fourth in the conference with 0.39 aces per set.
No. 17 Men's Golf
- The Mountain Lions compete in the first RMAC event of the season at the Hillcrest Golf Course in Durango, Colo.
- UCCS finished No. 14 at the Brickyard Invitational last week to open the season. The tournament featured eight teams, including the Mountain Lions, who were ranked in the top 25 preseason national poll.
- Newcomer Dustin Dalzell led the Mountain Lions at the Brickyard Invitational with a 224 over three rounds (75-74-75). He was a member of a team that competed at the national championships at Scottsdale Community College last spring.
- UCCS will compete in a one-day tournament at the Adams State Tournament in Sunday in Alamosa, Colo. It mark the second-to-last tournament of the inaugural fall season.
- The Mountain Lions made an 18-stroke improvement in the second round of their last tournament in Spearfish, S.D., and tied for sixth among the 12 teams.
- Laura Gritz is averaged 82.50 strokes per round to lead the Mountain Lions in two tournaments this season. She recorded the first sub-80 round in program history in South Dakota and finished in the top 10.
- Amanda Crites made a 15-stroke improvement in that same tournament to provide the second-best score for UCCS in the second round. The 83 in that round was the third-best round by a Mountain Lion this season.
|Additional News Stories|
|April 9, 2014||Mountain Lions Surpass 100 Points in Final Directors Cup Winter Update||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs scored Directors Cup points in men's basketball for the first time in school history in the final winter update for the Division II Learfield Sports Directors Cup.|
|March 31, 2014||Kulpins and Hitchings on The Lion's Den Tuesday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Tuesday at 10. The show this week will feature Korey Kulpins and Jourdan Hitchings of the UCCS softball team. We will discuss the 10 games the team played over spring break, including a current seven-game winning streak, as well as play "Name That Mountain Lion." Hosts MJ Arjomandi and Amber McAfee will also recap all the other UCCS athletic events that transpired this past weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|March 25, 2014||UCCS Adds Directors Cup Points in First Winter Update||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs surpassed the 80-point barrier for the second straight year with points from the NCAA Division II Men's Indoor Track and Field Championships and in the first winter update of the 2013-14 Learfield Sports Directors Cup standings.|
|February 19, 2014||Regents Laud Mountain Lion Athletes||UCCS leaders emphasized the student portion of campus intercollegiate athletics in a presentation to the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee of the CU Board of Regents Wednesday morning.|
|February 19, 2014||Belsterling & Jennings Featured on The Lion's Den Thursday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Thursday at 10. The preview show this week will feature Jessica Belsterling and Emily Jennings of the UCCS Softball Team. We will discuss recent trip to Las Vegas, the start of the conference season this upcoming weekend and we will play "Name That Mountain Lion." Host MJ Arjomandi and special co-host Jared Verner will also preview all the other UCCS athletic events scheduled for this upcoming weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Thursday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|