This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published September 16, 2013
|Monday, September 16|
|#17 Men's Golf at Brickyard Invitational||Indianapolis, Ind.||6:30 a.m. MDT|
|Women's Golf at RMAC #2||Spearfish, S.D.||1 p.m.|
|Tuesday, September 17|
|#17 Men's Golf at Brickyard Invitational||Indianapolis, Ind.||6:30 a.m. MDT|
|Women's Golf at RMAC #2||Spearfish, S.D.||9 a.m.|
|Friday, September 20|
|Men's Soccer at Metro State||Denver, Colo.||3:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Women's Soccer at Adams State||Alamosa, Colo.||5 p.m.|
|Volleyball vs. Colorado Christian||Gallogly Events Center||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Saturday, September 21|
|#12 Men's Cross Country at Colorado College Invitational||Colorado Springs, Colo.||9 a.m.|
|#8 Women's Cross Country at Erik Anderson Invitational||Spokane, Wash.||11:30 a.m. MDT|
|Volleyball vs. #19 Colorado Mines||Gallogly Events Center||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Sunday, September 22|
|#17 Men's Golf at RMAC #1||Durango, Colo.||7:30 a.m.|
|Women's Soccer at Western State||Gunnison, Colo.||1 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Soccer at Colorado Mesa||Grand Junction, Colo.||3 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
Women's Soccer (3-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions begin the RMAC season on the road with a trip to the mountains for a Friday game with Adams State and a Sunday game with Western State.
- UCCS is one seven teams in the conference that went through the opening two weekends with an undefeated record. The Mountain Lions are 3-0 for the fourth time in the six-year history of the program.
- UCCS is fifth in the first NSCAA South Central Regional poll released last Tuesday. Five RMAC teams are ranked within the top six of the coaches regional poll.
- Agnes Arnadottir recorded her 44th career point last Friday on an assist in a 3-0 win against Fort Hays State. It moved her within one point of tying for second in UCCS career records. She needs one more goal to break the goals record.
Men's Soccer (1-1 / 0-0 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions go on the road for the first time this season to open the conference season at Metro State and Colorado Mesa.
- UCCS is ranked eighth in the first regular season NSCAA South Central Region poll last Tuesday. The Mountain Lions finished No. 10 in the final poll in 2012.
- Brandon Costa is leading the RMAC in save percentage and is anchoring a defense that ranks second in the RMAC in goals allowed per game.
- The Mountain Lions were tied with Midwestern State on Sunday before lightning cancelled the game in the 48th minute. Mathew Cox scored an equalizer goal in the first half, but because the game didn't reach the 70th minute, no records or statistics will count for the 2013 season.
Volleyball (4-4 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS opens the conference and home season this weekend with Colorado Christian on Friday and Colorado Mines on Saturday. All three teams are within a game of each other in the overall record after the first two weekends of the season.
- Jordan Banich was named to the All-Peggy Martin Challenge Team after she averaged 3.23 points per set. She's leading the Mountain Lions with 2.61 kills per set in eight matches this season.
- Kristen Sciacca is ranked second in the RMAC with a .398 hitting percentage and fourth with 1.04 blocks per set. She hit a season-best .600 against McKendree last Saturday, but came one kill short of meeting the minimum for UCCS single-match records - it would have ranked third in a three-set match in program history.
- Whiteout Weekend will return to the Gallogly Events Center. The first 400 students will receive the 2013 Whiteout t-shirt on Friday night, and those who wear the shirt for Saturday's game against Colorado Mines will be entered in for a chance to win lift tickets to Monarch Mountain.
No. 8 Women's Cross Country
- The Mountain Lions will get an early look at the course that will be used for the national championships in the Erik Anderson Invitational Saturday morning in Spokane, Wash.
- UCCS had five runners in the top nine of the overall results, and five of the top seven collegiate runners, in the Sixth Annual Rust Buster on Sept. 7.
- Angie Martell led the Mountain Lions in the Rust Buster for the second straight season with her time of 14:57 on the four-kilometer course.
- The Mountain Lions began the season ranked eighth in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association national preseason poll. UCCS is one of four RMAC teams ranked in the top 25 and one of three ranked in the top 10.
No. 12 Men's Cross Country
- UCCS will remain in Colorado Springs for the second meet of the season at the Colorado College Invitational on Saturday morning. The course will use the same trail system as the UCCS Rust Buster on Sept. 7.
- Bryce Gregoire led the Mountain Lion effort at the Rust Buster with a fourth place overall finish in 20:19 on the six-kilometer course. He led a pack of five UCCS runners who swept fourth through eighth in the overall results.
- Luke Dakin, a member of the team that competed at the national championships last season, is expected to make his first apperance of the cross country season this Saturday.
- The Mountain Lions were picked No. 12 in the USTFCCCA national preseason rankings, and fourth in the regional preseason rankings. The first regular season rankings of the season will be released on Tuesday, Sept. 17.
No. 17 Men's Golf
- The Mountain Lions open the 2013 fall season at the Brickyard Invitational, hosted by the University of Indianapolis. The meet will feature seven teams ranked in the top 25 of the national preseason rankings.
- UCCS is No. 17 in those national rankings, after a No. 10 finish at the national championships in May. The Mountain Lions were the only RMAC team in the top 25 rankings and one of two from the South Central Region.
- In contrast, UCCS was picked third in the RMAC preseason coaches poll last month. The Mountain Lions won their 11th conference championship in the 2012-13 season.
- UCCS will compete for the second time in program history in the RMAC event at the Spearfish Canyon Country Club, hosted by Black Hills State.
- Laura Gritz led the Mountain Lions in the first conference event two weeks ago in Pueblo West, Colo. She finished in a tie for No. 29 overall with a 167 (83-84).
- After being picked No. 10 in the RMAC Preseason Coaches' Poll, the Mountain Lions finished sixth among the 10 RMAC teams at the season-opening conference tournament two weeks ago. UCCS improved by seven strokes on its team score from the first to second rounds in the tournament.
|Additional News Stories|
|February 19, 2014||Regents Laud Mountain Lion Athletes||UCCS leaders emphasized the student portion of campus intercollegiate athletics in a presentation to the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee of the CU Board of Regents Wednesday morning.|
|February 19, 2014||Belsterling & Jennings Featured on The Lion's Den Thursday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Thursday at 10. The preview show this week will feature Jessica Belsterling and Emily Jennings of the UCCS Softball Team. We will discuss recent trip to Las Vegas, the start of the conference season this upcoming weekend and we will play "Name That Mountain Lion." Host MJ Arjomandi and special co-host Jared Verner will also preview all the other UCCS athletic events scheduled for this upcoming weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Thursday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 17, 2014||Coach Culver Featured on This Week's Lion's Den||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Tuesday at 10. The show this week will feature the head coach of the UCCS Men's Basketball team, Jeff Culver. Coach Culver will discuss the historic run the team has made this season, the NCAA birth for the first time in program history, and the matchup against Metro State which will be the fourth game between the two teams this season. Hosts MJ Arjomandi and Amber McAfee will also recap all the other UCCS athletic events from this past weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 12, 2014||The Lion's Den Welcomes Three More Mountain Lions This Thursday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Thursday at 10. The preview show this week will feature Gabby Ramirez, Jeri Pikul, and Jessika Kienitz of the UCCS Women's Basketball Team. We will discuss the second annual Downtown Classic, their upcoming date with Adams State on Valentines day, as well as play "Name That Mountain Lion." Hosts MJ Arjomandi and special co-host Jared Verner will also preview all the other UCCS athletic events scheduled for this upcoming weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Thursday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 10, 2014||Welsh and White on The Lion's Den Tuesday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Tuesday at 10. The show will feature Derrick White and Alex Welsh of the UCCS Men's Basketball Team. We will discuss the second annual Downtown Classic, the dunk competition within the team, as well as play "Name That Mountain Lion." Hosts MJ Arjomandi and Amber McAfee will also recap all the other UCCS athletic evetns that transpired this past weeked. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|