This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published September 10, 2013
|Friday, September 13|
|Volleyball vs. Emporia State||Warrensburg, Mo.||9 a.m. MDT|
|Volleyball vs. Pittsburg State||Warrensburg, Mo.||3 p.m. MDT|
|Men's Soccer vs. Eastern New Mexico||Mountain Lion Stadium||5 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Women's Soccer vs. Fort Hays State||Mountain Lion Stadium||7:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Saturday, September 14|
|Volleyball vs. McKendree||Warrensburg, Mo.||11 a.m. MDT|
|Volleyball at No. 7 Central Missouri||Warrensburg, Mo.||5 p.m. MDT||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Sunday, September 15|
|Men's Golf at Brickyard Invitational||Indianapolis, Ind.||5:30 a.m. MDT|
|Men's Soccer vs. Midwestern State||Mountain Lion Stadium||11 a.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
Women's Soccer (2-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS opens the 2013 home regular season on Friday with a 7:30 p.m., game with Fort Hays State. The game will also close out the nonconference season for the Mountain Lions.
- The Mountain Lions opened the season with two victories for the third straight season after a 3-0 shutout of Concordia-St. Paul and a 4-2 win against East Central.
- Agnes Arnadottir moved into a tie in for the UCCS career record for goals scored after three goals over the weekend. She has 18 goals in her career and is tied with Kristin Preble, who played from 2008-11.
- UCCS is fifth in the first NSCAA South Central Regional poll released on Tuesday. Five RMAC teams are ranked within the top six of the coaches regional poll.
Men's Soccer (1-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions continue the home season with a Friday night game with Eastern New Mexico and a Sunday morning game with Midwestern State. Both games will count as regional contests for NCAA postseason consideration in November.
- Goalkeeper Brandon Costa earned RMAC Defensive Player of the Week honors after his 10th career shutout last Thursday against St. Mary's. He made seven saves against the Rattlers in the 3-0 victory for the Mountain Lions.
- UCCS is ranked eighth in the first regular season NSCAA South Central Region poll on Tuesday. The Mountain Lions finished No. 10 in the final poll in 2012.
- J.R. Calhoun scored two goals in his first collegiate game against St. Mary's. He's third in the RMAC in goals scored after the opening weekend of the season.
Volleyball (3-1 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS competes in the final nonconference weekend at the Peggy Martin Challenge at Central Missouri. The Mountain Lions take on Emporia State, Pittsburg State, McKendree, and host Central Missouri this weekend in Warrensburg, Mo.
- Grace Gordan and Jordan Banich were named to the all-tournament team for the BritKare Lady Buff Classic last weekend. UCCS went 3-1, with the only loss to the home team, No. 10 West Texas A&M.
- The Mountain Lions are second in the RMAC for blocks per set (2.23). Kristen Sciacca is second in the individual blocking statistics with 1.07 per set, and also second in the conference for hitting percentage with .411.
- The weekend will be a return to familiar territory for UCCS Head Coach Chrissy Elder. She was the head assistant at Central Missouri for four seasons before UCCS, and helped the Jennies to a 122-22 record.
No. 17 Men's Golf
- The Mountain Lions open the 2013 fall season at the Brickyard Invitational, hosted by the University of Indianapolis. The meet will feature seven teams ranked in the top 25 of the national preseason rankings.
- UCCS is No. 17 in those national rankings, after a No. 10 finish at the national championships in May. The Mountain Lions were the only RMAC team in the top 25 rankings and one of two from the South Central Region.
- In contrast, UCCS was picked third in the RMAC preseason coaches poll last month. The Mountain Lions won their 11th conference championship in the 2012-13 season.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|Additional News Stories|
|February 19, 2014||Regents Laud Mountain Lion Athletes||UCCS leaders emphasized the student portion of campus intercollegiate athletics in a presentation to the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee of the CU Board of Regents Wednesday morning.|
|February 19, 2014||Belsterling & Jennings Featured on The Lion's Den Thursday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Thursday at 10. The preview show this week will feature Jessica Belsterling and Emily Jennings of the UCCS Softball Team. We will discuss recent trip to Las Vegas, the start of the conference season this upcoming weekend and we will play "Name That Mountain Lion." Host MJ Arjomandi and special co-host Jared Verner will also preview all the other UCCS athletic events scheduled for this upcoming weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Thursday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 17, 2014||Coach Culver Featured on This Week's Lion's Den||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Tuesday at 10. The show this week will feature the head coach of the UCCS Men's Basketball team, Jeff Culver. Coach Culver will discuss the historic run the team has made this season, the NCAA birth for the first time in program history, and the matchup against Metro State which will be the fourth game between the two teams this season. Hosts MJ Arjomandi and Amber McAfee will also recap all the other UCCS athletic events from this past weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 12, 2014||The Lion's Den Welcomes Three More Mountain Lions This Thursday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Thursday at 10. The preview show this week will feature Gabby Ramirez, Jeri Pikul, and Jessika Kienitz of the UCCS Women's Basketball Team. We will discuss the second annual Downtown Classic, their upcoming date with Adams State on Valentines day, as well as play "Name That Mountain Lion." Hosts MJ Arjomandi and special co-host Jared Verner will also preview all the other UCCS athletic events scheduled for this upcoming weekend. For all this and much more, tune in Thursday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|
|February 10, 2014||Welsh and White on The Lion's Den Tuesday at Ten||Be sure to tune in to The Lion's Den this Tuesday at 10. The show will feature Derrick White and Alex Welsh of the UCCS Men's Basketball Team. We will discuss the second annual Downtown Classic, the dunk competition within the team, as well as play "Name That Mountain Lion." Hosts MJ Arjomandi and Amber McAfee will also recap all the other UCCS athletic evetns that transpired this past weeked. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at 10 to The Lion's Den - The Official Source for UCCS Sports.|