This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published September 2, 2013
|Wednesday, September 4|
|Mountain Lion Athletic Association Golf Tournament||U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.||1 p.m.|
|Thursday, September 5|
|Men's Soccer vs. St. Mary's||Mountain Lion Stadium||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Friday, September 6|
|Volleyball vs. Lubbock Christian||Canyon, Texas||10 a.m.|
|Women's Soccer vs. Concordia-St. Paul||Pueblo, Colo.||4:30 p.m.|
|Volleyball vs. Texas-Permian Basin||Canyon, Texas||4:30 p.m.|
|Saturday, September 7|
|Women's Golf at RMAC #1||Pueblo West, Colo.||8 a.m.|
|#8 Women's Cross Country hosts Rust Buster||Monument Valley Park||9:15 a.m.|
|Volleyball vs. Incarnate Word||Canyon, Texas||10 a.m.|
|#12 Men's Cross Country hosts Rust Buster||Monument Valley Park||10 a.m.|
|Volleyball at #10 West Texas A&M||Canyon, Texas||4:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Sunday, September 8|
|Women's Golf at RMAC #1||Pueblo West, Colo.||8 a.m.|
|Women's Soccer vs. East Central||Pueblo, Colo.||12:30 p.m.|
Women's Soccer (0-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS begins the 2013 regular season in Pueblo, Colo., with Concordia-St. Paul on Friday and East Central on Sunday. Sunday's game will count as a regional contest for NCAA postseason rankings.
- The Mountain Lions will be meeting both teams on the field for the first time in program history. UCCS is 3-0-1 against teams from Minnesota in the five years of the program.
- The Mountain Lions held an advantage on shots on goal against Division I South Dakota on Sunday in a 3-0 loss to the Coyotes in an exhibition game.
- Agnes Arnadottir returns for her senior season after breaking the season record last year for points (25). She needs 12 to break the career points record and four goals to break the goals record.
Men's Soccer (0-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions open the 2013 season at home with regional opponent St. Mary's of Texas. It's the first meeting between the two teams since 2007 and the first time the teams are playing in Colorado Springs.
- UCCS was picked seventh in the RMAC Preseason Coaches Poll with eight starters from last year's RMAC semifinal appearance.
- Brandon Costa begins his senior season ranked fourth in UCCS career records with 200 saves, fifth with a .760 save percentage and sixth with a 1.43 goals against average.
- Head Coach Johnnie Keen begins his second season after he led the Mountain Lions to a 9-9-1 record in 2012. It was the second-best season for a first-year head coach in program history (Flavio Mazzetti - 2003).
Volleyball (0-0 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS starts the 2013 regular season with four matches at the West Texas A&M Lady Buff Classic on Friday and Saturday in Canyon, Texas.
- The Mountain Lions will face three regional opponents this weekend in Lubbock Christian, Texas-Permian Basin and No. 10 West Texas A&M. The fourth opponent this weekend, Incarnate Word, is in the first year of transition to NCAA Division I.
- Head Coach Chrissy Elder begins her first season with the Mountain Lions after a 122-22 as an assistant coach at Central Missouri. She's been a member of teams that have never missed the NCAA tournament in her coaching career.
- UCCS was picked to qualify for the RMAC tournament for the second straight season after a tie for seventh in the conference preseason coaches poll.
No. 8 Women's Cross Country
- The Mountain Lions host the sixth annual Rust Buster on Saturday morning at Monument Valley Park. The four-kilometer women's race begins at 10 a.m.
- UCCS is eighth in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association preseason national rankings released last week. The ranking comes after a ninth-place finish at the 2012 national championships.
- The Mountain Lions were also picked third in the RMAC Preseason Coaches' Poll and in the USTFCCCA South Central Region poll.
- UCCS brings back six of its top seven runners from last season, including three All-RMAC and all-region runners (Veronica Sandoval, Madison Neher and Angie Martell).
No. 12 Men's Cross Country
- UCCS hosts the sixth annual Rust Buster meet Saturday at Monument Valley Park, north of downtown Colorado Springs. The men's six-kilometer race begins at 9:15 a.m.
- The Mountain Lions start the season ranked No. 12 in the preseason USTFCCCA national poll after a No. 11 finish at last year's national championships. UCCS came in at fourth in the RMAC and regional preseason polls.
- Luke Dakin and Matt Winfrey will lead the returners after running at the conference, regional and national championships last season for UCCS. Dakin was the fifth scorer in each of those meets for the Mountain Lions.
- The inaugural season of UCCS women's golf begins this weekend with the first RMAC event on Saturday and Sunday at Desert Hawk Golf Course in Pueblo West, Colo.
- Head Coach Sadie Farnsworth begins her first season after a record-setting career at Colorado Mesa. She holds the Maverick record for lowest round against par and is sixth in career win-loss percentage.
- The Mountain Lions is No. 10 in the RMAC Preseason Coaches' Poll released last week. UCCS will join Metro State as RMAC schools with new women's golf teams for the 2013-14 season.
|Additional News Stories|
|November 27, 2013||UCCS No. 40 in First Directors Cup Standings||After a top-20 national finish for the University of Colorado Colorado Springs at the NCAA Division II Women's Cross Country Championships last weekend, the Mountain Lions are No. 40 in the first release of the Learfield Sports Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|November 25, 2013||Campbell and Carter Join The Lion's Den This Week||Be sure to tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den, as Jake Campbell and Jordan Carter of the UCCS Men's Basketball team will join us live in the studio to discuss the best start in program history, the NCAA violations, as well as play Name That Mountain Lion. Hosts MJ and Amber will also recap all the results from over the weekend and preview all the upcoming events. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den-The official source, for UCCS sports.|
|November 21, 2013||University of Colorado Surpasses $1.5 Billion Creating Futures Campaign Milestone||UCCS benefits from more than $67 million in private support|
|November 18, 2013||Sandoval & Arista Join The Lions Den This Week||Be sure to tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den, as Lina Arista and Veronica Sandoval will join us live in the studio to discuss the evolution of the program, the upcoming trip to Nationals, as well as play Name That Mountain Lion. Hosts MJ and Jared,will also recap all the results from over the weekend preview all the upcoming games. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den-The official source, for UCCS sports.|
|October 28, 2013||Coach Ridenour Featured on The Lion's Den This Week||Be sure to tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den, as head coach of the UCCS women's soccer team, Nichole Ridenour will join us live in the studio to discuss the evolution of the program, the new addition to her family, and the teams upcoming post season run. Hosts MJ and Amber, who will also recap all the results from over the weekend preview all the upcoming games. For all this and much more, tune in Tuesday at ten to The Lion's Den-The official source, for UCCS sports.|