This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published March 18, 2013
|Saturday, March 23|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at CSU-Pueblo Open||Pueblo, Colo.||11 a.m.|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at CSU-Pueblo Open||Pueblo, Colo.||11:15 a.m.|
|Softball||UCCS hosts New Mexico Highlands||Mountain Lion Field||12 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio|
|Softball||UCCS hosts New Mexico Highlands||Mountain Lion Field||2 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio|
|Sunday, March 24|
|Softball||UCCS hosts New Mexico Highlands||Mountain Lion Field||11 a.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio|
|Softball||UCCS hosts New Mexico Highlands||Mountain Lion Field||1 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio|
Softball (14-9-1 / 9-5 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions are on their best home start (6-0) since the 2007 season, when UCCS started 7-0 and went 14-2 at home.
- UCCS is leading the RMAC in batting average (.351), stolen bases (32), runs (161) and fielding percentage (.966), and second in the conference in on-base percentage (.426) and RBIs (148).
- Payton Kornfiend and Jourdan Hitchings are fourth and fifth, respectively, in the conference for stolen bases. Hitchkings is also fifthin the RMAC with a .487 batting average.
- T. J Flodman has reached base in the last 13 games since the first game of the Fort Lewis series.
Men's Outdoor Track and Field
- UCCS will continue the outdoor season at the CSU-Pueblo Open on Saturday at the Eddie and Neta DeRose ThunderBowl. It will be the first meet of the season for the Mountain Lions in the same facility that will host the national outdoor championships in May.
- Carson Aberle ran the third-fastest 800-meter run of the early outdoor season last Saturday at the Jerry Quiller Classic in Boulder. He ran an altitude-adjusted time of 1:52.70 and came within two-tenths of a second of the provisional mark for nationals.
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Jonathan Wright, Ryan Buchanan, Nathan Week and Alan Ford won the event last Saturday with 3:20.40. The Mountain Lions won nearly three seconds against the second-place team of Air Force.
- Marc Hensley and Ford both finished in the top 10 of a large field of 400-meter sprinters last Saturday afternoon. Ford finished sixth with 50.05 seconds behind four sprinters from Division II teams.
Women's Outdoor Track and Field
- The Mountain Lions will compete on the same track that will host the national championships in May for the CSU-Pueblo Open Saturday at the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl.
- Alex Colvin finished second in the pole vault last Saturday with 10-11 3/4 in her first competition of the outdoor season. She is tied for No. 18 in the Division II performance lists this season.
- UCCS is scheduled to be one of six RMAC teams in Pueblo, along with Adams State, Colorado Mines, CSU-Pueblo, Metro State, New Mexico Highlands and Western State.
|Additional News Stories|
|June 19, 2013||UCCS Athletics Records 18th Straight Semester with GPA Above 3.00||University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes maintained a term grade point average above a 3.00 for the 18th consecutive semester and 24 Mountain Lions earned a spot on the Dean's List or President's List for the Spring 2013 term.|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|