This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published February 13, 2013
|Friday, February 15, 2013|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Adams State||Alamosa, Colo.||6 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Adams State||Alamosa, Colo.||8 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Saturday, February 16, 2013|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at Joe Davies Open||Golden, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at Joe Davies Open||Golden, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Fort Lewis
||Durango, Colo.||5:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio | Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at #22 Fort Lewis
||Durango, Colo.||7:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Audio | Live Video|
Women's Basketball (16-4 / 13-3 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions go back on the road to southwest Colorado for games on Friday night at Adams State and Saturday night at Fort Lewis. UCCS won against both teams to open the conference season in December.
- The Mountain Lions clinched a spot in the 2013 RMAC Shootout after a 47-37 win on Saturday night at CSU-Pueblo. It's the second straight postseason appearance for UCCS.
- UCCS is receiving votes in the WBCA National Poll for the first time in program history. The current seven-game winning streak is tied for the second-longest in program history and the longest since the 2001-02 season.
- The Mountain Lions are sixth in NCAA Division II with 44.5 percent from the field and ninth in the nation with 37.3 percent from the three-point line. UCCS is leading the RMAC in field goal percentage, three-point percentage, defensive rebounds and assists.
Men's Basketball (4-16 / 4-12 RMAC)
- UCCS takes on Fort Lewis and Adams State in a road trip through southwest Colorado this weekend. The Mountain Lions lost to the teams by a combined five points to open the conference season.
- The Mountain Lions have out-rebounded their opponents in each of the last four games, and by an average of 10.8 rebounds. UCCS is first in the RMAC in offensive rebounds, total rebounds and rebounding margin for conference-only games.
- Derrick White moved into fourth in season records for free throws made after he went seven-of-nine at the line last Saturday night. His 122 free throws this season is three away from Jim Williams' 125 in the 1987-88 season and 11 away from Patrick Hannaway's 133 free throws in the 2006-07 season.
- Alex Welsh has scored at least 10 points in 11 of the last 12 games, and scored a season-high 21 points last Saturday night at CSU-Pueblo. He's leading the Mountain Lions with 50.2 percent from the field.
Men's Indoor Track & Field
- UCCS returns to the Steinhauer Fieldhouse for the second straight weekend for the Joe Davis Open this Saturday at Colorado Mines. It's the final tune-up before the RMAC Championships on Feb. 22-23.
- The Mountain Lions are ninth in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association South Central Region Team Index released on Monday. UCCS is one of six RMAC teams ranked in the top nine.
- The distance medley relay team of David McCloskey, Travis Whitman, Anthony Davis and Carson Aberle ran an altitude-adjusted 10:15.33 last weekend in the Colorado Mines Twilight Collegiate Open. The time ranks fourth in the conference and fifth in the region.
- Jonathan Wright leads the RMAC with an adjusted time of 49.51 seconds, and teammate Whitman is fourth in the conference with 49.67 seconds.
Women's Indoor Track & Field
- The Mountain Lions return to Colorado Mines for the Joe Davies Open this weekend after setting multiple season bests on the track last weekend.
- The distance medley relay team of Melanie Diep, Jessica Todd, Alexa Urban and Megan Burrell broke the program record in the event with 12:51.41 last weekend. The adjusted time of 11:51.10 ranks eighth in the NCAA Division II performance lists.
- Diep and Burrell also improved on their times in the 800-meter run and mile run, respectively. Diep ranks fifth in the conference, while Burrell is ranked seventh, in the final weekend before the conference championships.
- UCCS moved into No. 10 in the new USTFCCCA South Central Region Team Index. The Mountain Lions improved three spots compared to last week's ranking for the largest jump by a team in the region.
|Additional News Stories|
|June 19, 2013||UCCS Athletics Records 18th Straight Semester with GPA Above 3.00||University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes maintained a term grade point average above a 3.00 for the 18th consecutive semester and 24 Mountain Lions earned a spot on the Dean's List or President's List for the Spring 2013 term.|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|