This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published February 6, 2013
|Friday, February 8, 2013|
|Softball||UCCS vs. Western Washington||Las Vegas, Nev.||3 p.m. MST||Live Stats | Live Audio|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at Mines Twilight Open||Golden, Colo.||6 p.m.|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at Mines Twilight Open||Golden, Colo.||6 p.m.|
|Softball||UCCS vs. Grand Canyon||Las Vegas, Nev.||8 p.m. MST||Live Stats|
|Saturday, February 9, 2013|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at Mines Twilight Open||Golden, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at Mines Twilight Open||Golden, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado State-Pueblo||Pueblo, Colo.||5:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Softball||UCCS vs. Humboldt State||Las Vegas, Nev.||5:30 p.m. MST||Live Stats|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado State-Pueblo||Pueblo, Colo.||7:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Softball||UCCS vs. Western Oregon||Las Vegas, Neb.||8 p.m.||Live Stats|
|Sunday, February 10|
|Softball||UCCS vs. Dixie State||Las Vegas, Nev.||3 p.m. MST||Live Stats | Live Audio|
Women's Basketball (15-4 / 12-3 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions and Colorado State-Pueblo are both involved in a three-way tie for second place in the RMAC standings with seven games left in the regular season.
- This weekend's game will feature a battle of both RMAC Players of the Week. Lauren Wolfinger is the RMAC Offensive Player of the Week and CSU-Pueblo's Laurel Kearsley is the RMAC Defensive Player of the Week.
- Head Coach Corey Laster needs just one more win to move into a tie for third most in program history.
- The Mountain Lions are first in the RMAC in assists per game (17.1), defensive rebounds (27.9), three-point percent (37.7), which ranks sixth in the nation, and field goal percent (45), which also ranks ninth in the nation.
Men's Basketball (4-15 / 4-11 RMAC)
- UCCS, winners in two of the last three games, will look to avenge a two-point loss to CSU-Pueblo earlier this season on Saturday night down in Pueblo.
- The game will also finalize the point scoring for basketball n the 2012-13 Steel & Silver Series. Points will still be outstanding in softball, men's golf and women's indoor and outdoor track and field.
- The Mountain Lions have out-rebounded their opponents by an average of 11.7 rebounds in the last three games. UCCS also recorded 50 rebounds against New Mexico Highlands on Saturday night, a season-high.
- Derrick White went 16-of-18 at the free throw line last Saturday night, tied for second for the most free throws in a single game. His 115 free throws this season ranks sixth in program records and two free throws out of fourth.
Softball (4-0-1 / 0-0 RMAC)
- UCCS remains unbeaten after opening weekend and has started the season 4-0-1 for the first time in program history.
- It's the best start to the season since a 6-0 start in the 2006 campaign.
- Pitcher Becca Smith started her career and season 3-0 and is the only pitcher in the RMAC with three wins this season. Smith also leads the RMAC with 28 strikeouts, 15 more than second place.
- The Mountain Lions finished last season as the number one team in the RMAC for hitting percent and are currently first with .480 as a team.
Men's Indoor Track & Field
- The Mountain Lions return to the track for the first time in two weeks with the Colorado Mines Twilight Collegiate Open in Golden, Colo., on Friday and Saturday. It will be the first of back-to-back weekends on the track at Mines.
- Jon Wright continues to lead the RMAC with an adjusted time of 49.51 seconds in the 400-meter dash from the New Mexico Invitational. He's also on the 4x400-meter team that ranks second in the conference.
- UCCS dropped one spot in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches South Central Regional Team Index to No. 11. Three individuals are ranked among the top eight times in their events in the region.
Women's Indoor Track & Field
- Like the men, the UCCS women will compete at the Colorado Mines Twilight Collegiate Open this weekend.
- Alex Colvin improved on her pole vault mark last weekend at the New Mexico Classic with 11-11 3/4. She leads the RMAC and is tied for No. 19 in the NCAA Division II performance lists.
- The Mountain Lions improved one spot in the regional team index to No. 13, with four regionally-ranked individual performances.
- UCCS is tenatively scheduled to compete against RMAC teams Metro State, Colorado State-Pueblo, Colorado Mines and Colorado Mesa this weekend.
|Additional News Stories|
|June 19, 2013||UCCS Athletics Records 18th Straight Semester with GPA Above 3.00||University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes maintained a term grade point average above a 3.00 for the 18th consecutive semester and 24 Mountain Lions earned a spot on the Dean's List or President's List for the Spring 2013 term.|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|