This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published January 21, 2013
|Friday, January 25, 2013|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at New Mexico Invitational||Albuquerque, N.M.||4 p.m.|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at New Mexico Invitational||Albuquerque, N.M.||4 p.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Black Hills State||Spearfish, S.D.||5:30 p.m.||Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Black Hills State||Spearfish, S.D.||7:30 p.m.||Live Video|
|Saturday, January 26, 2013|
|Women's Track & Field||UCCS at New Mexico Invitational||Albuquerque, N.M.||9 a.m.|
|Men's Track & Field||UCCS at New Mexico Invitational||Albuquerque, N.M.||10:45 a.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Chadron State||Chadron, Neb.||6 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Chadron State||Chadron, Neb.||8 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
Women's Basketball (11-4 / 8-3 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions are first in the RMAC in field goal percent (44.8), three-point shooting (37.4) and assists per game (16.9).
- The long rang attack is led by Jeri Pikul and Abby Kirchoff, who are shooting 51.1 percent and 47.6 percent and rank first and third in the RMAC, respectively.
- UCCS has their best record in program history through 15 games at 11-4.
- With the wins this past weekend, UCCS has moved into fourth place in the RMAC, which would give them a home playoff game in the first round of the RMAC Shootout if the season ended today.
Men's Basketball (2-13 / 2-9 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions take on conference newcomer Black Hills State on Friday night before facing Chadron State on Saturday to finish a four-game road swing.
- Derrick White leads RMAC freshmen with 16.7 points per game. He scored at least 20 points for the fifth time this season on Friday night at Colorado Mines and has scored at least 10 points in the last eight games.
- Friday's games will be the first against Black Hills State since the 2009-10 season, and the third game in the all-time series.
- UCCS is averaging 40.9 rebounds per conference game to lead the RMAC, and is second in the conference with a rebounding margin of +5.8 in the RMAC season.
Men's Indoor Track & Field
- UCCS continues the indoor season this weekend at the University of New Mexico's Invitational Friday and Saturday in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Alan Ford won the 600-yard run at last weekend's with the fourth-fastest time in program history. The top four runners for the Mountain Lions in the event finished with times that ranked in the top five in program history.
- UCCS went first and second in the 4x400-meter relays and the top team ran the second-fastest time in the conference this season.
- The Mountain Lions will join Adams State as RMAC teams at the New Mexico Invitational this weekend. The meet will take place on the same track that will be used for the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships in March.
Women's Indoor Track & Field
- The Mountain Lions compete for the second straight weekend at the New Mexico Invitational Friday and Saturday in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Alexa Urban broke her own program record in the 600-yard run with 1:23.49 last Saturday at the Potts Invitational in Boulder, Colo. She was also a part of the 4x400-meter relay team that won in 4:13.04, with teammates Jessica Todd, Briana Kae Alley and Melanie Diep.
- Veronica Sandoval ran the eighth fastest time in the RMAC last weekend with an altitude and track-adjusted time of 5:12.99 in the mile run.
- This weekend's meet will be the four-week mark before the RMAC Indoor Championships Feb. 22-23 at Black Hills State in Spearfish, S.D.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|Additional News Stories|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|
|May 1, 2013||Shaswar and Burrell Receive McLaughlin Award||University of Colorado Colorado Springs senior student-athletes Mash Shaswar and Megan Burrell were honored as the recipients of the Thomas F. McLaughlin Award at the University's annual Awards Banquet tonight in Berger Hall.|