This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Jared Verner published January 14, 2013
|Friday, January 18, 2013|
|Women's Indoor Track & Field||UCCS at CU-Boulder Potts Invitational||Boulder, Colo.||3 p.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado Mines||Golden, Colo.||5:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado Mines||Golden, Colo.||7:30 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Saturday, January 19, 2013|
|Women's Indoor Track & Field||UCCS at CU-Boulder Potts Invitational||Boulder, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Men's Indoor Track & Field||UCCS at CU-Boulder Potts Invitational||Boulder, Colo.||10 a.m.|
|Women's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado Christian||Lakewood, Colo.||5 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS at Colorado Christian||Lakewood, Colo.||7 p.m.||Live Stats | Live Video|
Women's Basketball (9-4 / 6-3 RMAC)
- UCCS travels for the first time in more than a month for games at Colorado Mines and Colorado Christian. The games will be the halfway point of the RMAC schedule.
- Abby Kirchoff earned her second RMAC Athlete of the Week award after averaging 17 points and six rebounds against Western State and Colorado Mesa. She's the only student-athlete in the conference to earn the athlete of the week award on both the offensive and defensive sides.
- The Mountain Lions lead the conference in field goal percentage (44.4 percent) and assists (16.8/game). UCCS is also No. 18 in Division II for field goal percentage.
- UCCS is tied for fifth in the RMAC standings with Fort Lewis near the halfway point of the conference season and one game out of second place.
Men's Basketball (2-11 / 2-7 RMAC)
- The Mountain Lions take on defending RMAC champion Coolorado Mines on Friday night and Colorado Christian Saturday night in the halfway point of the conference schedule. UCCS is one game out of a spot in the postseason tournament going into the weekend.
- UCCS has won two of its last four games, and won its last road game at Western New Mexico on Dec. 15. The Mountain Lions are shooting 45 percent from the field during the last four games with Derrick White, Darius Pardner and Alex Welsh each shooting 50 percent or better.
- White is fifth in the RMAC with 16.8 points per game and recorded his fourth straight game with 20+ points against Western State last Friday night. He's scored in double figures in 11 of the 13 games this season as a true freshman.
- The Mountain Lions have outrebounded their opponents in eight of the last 10 games and is second in the conference with an overall rebounding margin of +3.2.
Men's Indoor Track and Field
- UCCS begins the 2012-13 indoor track and field season this Saturday with the University of Colorado Boulder Potts Invitational. The Mountain Lions will send 13 student-athletes to compete in the 600-yard run, 4x400-meter relay, 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash.
- The Mountain Lions were picked to finish fifth in the RMAC Preseason Poll released in December. UCCS was No. 46 in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association national preseason rankings based on returning performers.
- Jonathan Wright and Anthony Davis both earned All-RMAC honors last season and are both scheduled to compete in the 600-yard year and 4x400-meter relay. They will be on seperate relay teams as the Mountain Lions will have 12 of the 13 athletes making the trip on one of the relays.
Women's Indoor Track and Field
- The Mountain Lions start the 2012-13 indoor track and field season on Friday afternoon at the University of Colorado Boulder Potts Invitational. Eleven student-athletes will make the trip and compete in the 600-yard run, 4x400-meter relay, pole vaule and mile run.
- UCCS was picked sixth in the 2012-13 RMAC Preseason Coaches' Poll. The Mountain Lions were sixth in last year's indoor championships at Chadron State among 10 teams.
- Alex Colvin, the defending indoor champion in the pole vault will be the lone Mountain Lion in action on Friday afternoon. The rest of the team scheduled to compete on Saturday.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|Additional News Stories|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|
|May 1, 2013||Shaswar and Burrell Receive McLaughlin Award||University of Colorado Colorado Springs senior student-athletes Mash Shaswar and Megan Burrell were honored as the recipients of the Thomas F. McLaughlin Award at the University's annual Awards Banquet tonight in Berger Hall.|
|May 1, 2013||UCCS Sixth in RMAC All-Sport Standings with One Weekend Left||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs moved down to sixth in the latest RMAC All-Sport Competition Standings compiled by the Mountain Lion Sports Information Office.|
|April 26, 2013||Golf Championship Moves UCCS Into 5th in RMAC All-Sport Standings||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs men's golf championship this week moved the Mountain Lions into fifth in the updated RMAC All-Sport Standings compiled by the UCCS Sports Information Office.|
|April 15, 2013||This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics||UCCS will have softball and golf playing along the I-25 corridor, while the Mountain Lion track and field teams will be splitting squads across multiple races this weekend.|