This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
By Sports Information Staff published October 22, 2012
|Thursday, October 25|
|Men's Basketball||UCCS hosts Northern New Mexico||Gallogly Events Center||8 p.m.|
|Friday, October 26|
|Women's Soccer||UCCS travels to Colorado Mines||Golden, Colo.||5 p.m.|
|Volleyball||UCCS hosts #15 Regis||Gallogly Events Center||7 p.m.|
|Men's Soccer||UCCS travels to Colorado Mines||Golden, Colo.||7:30 p.m.|
|Saturday, October 27|
|Volleyball||UCCS hosts #23 Metro State||Gallogly Events Center||5 p.m.|
|Sunday, October 28|
|Women's Soccer||UCCS travels to Metro State||Denver, Colo.||12 p.m.|
|Men's Soccer||UCCS travels to Metro State||Denver, Colo.||2:30 p.m.|
- UCCS looks to remain perfect at home against two nationally-ranked opponents with No. 15 Regis on Friday and No. 23 Metro State on Saturday.
- Nikki Kinzer earned her third RMAC Defensive Player of the Week honor after a career-high 16 block performance against Colorado Mesa on Friday night. She moved within three block assist of tying the all-time UCCS career record held by Joy Blake (1989-92).
- Saturday will be the Mountain Lions' "Dig Pink" night for breast cancer awareness. The Side-Out Foundation and the American Volleyball Coaches Association join the nationwide awareness campaign during the month of October to raise funds for breast cancer treatment and research throughout all collegiate divisions.
- The Mountain Lions can clinch a spot in the RMAC tournament with two wins this weekend, or a win by UCCS and a loss by Fort Lewis.
- The Mountain Lions wrap up the 2012 regular season in the Denver metro area this weekend at Colorado Mines on Friday and Metro State on Sunday. UCCS will be playing for seeding positions in next week's RMAC tournament.
- Sebastian Hertzberg, Luke Chapman and Kyle Tetrault each scored for the first time this season in a 6-2 win last Friday at Colorado Christian. The six goals were the most in a single game this season.
- UCCS has qualified for the RMAC tournament for the second straight season and the third time in the last four seasons. Two wins this week would put the Mountain Lions as the second seed and would be the highest regular season conference finish since 1998.
- Mash Shaswar is leading UCCS with eight goals this season and is tied for seventh in the RMAC statistics. He's among the national leaders in total points, total goals and goals per game.
- UCCS finishes the 2012 regular season in games at Colorado Mines on Friday and at Metro State on Sunday. The Mountain Lions are one of five teams fighting to win the RMAC regular season championship in the final weekend of the season.
- The Mountain Lions are unbeaten in the last seven games and have the No. 14 best win-loss percentage in Division II this season.
- UCCS is ranked fourth in the first NCAA Division II South Central Region poll released last week. The poll is used by the national committee to select the teams that qualify for the national postseason.
- Kelly Schroeder earned career shutout No. 14 against New Mexico Highlands on Sunday afternoon and moved alone into eighth in RMAC career records. She's also No. 13 in Division II this season with a save percentage of 88.4 percent.
- The Mountain Lions open the 2012-13 exhibition season on Thursday night with Northern New Mexico. Tip-off in Gallogly Events Center is set for 8 p.m.
- Head Coach Jeff Culver begins his first season at UCCS after leading Johnson & Wales to three Association of Independent Institutions Conference championships in six seasons.
- The RMAC preseason coaches poll is scheduled to be released on Thursday.
- Thursday's game with the Eagles will be the first against Northern New Mexico in program history. The NNMC athletic program was started in the 2005-06 academic year.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|Additional News Stories|
|June 19, 2013||UCCS Athletics Records 18th Straight Semester with GPA Above 3.00||University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes maintained a term grade point average above a 3.00 for the 18th consecutive semester and 24 Mountain Lions earned a spot on the Dean's List or President's List for the Spring 2013 term.|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|