This Week in Mountain Lion Athletics
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs begins the fall sports season this weekend with men's soccer in California, volleyball in Phoenix and women's soccer hosting the first two games of a six-game homestand this weekend. The Mountain Lions begin the opening weekend with eight contests over a four-day span during the extended Labor Day weekend.
|Thursday, August 30|
|Men's Soccer||UCCS at California State-East Bay||Hayward, Calif.||8 p.m. MDT|
|Friday, August 31|
|Volleyball||UCCS vs. No. 3 California State-San Bernardino||Phoenix, Ariz.||10 a.m. MDT|
|Volleyball||UCCS at Grand Canyon||Phoenix, Ariz.||3 p.m. MDT|
|Women's Soccer||UCCS hosts Fort Hays State||Mountain Lion Stadium||7 p.m.|
|Saturday, September 2|
|Men's Soccer||UCCS vs. California State-Stanislaus||San Rafael, Calif.||12 p.m. MDT|
|Volleyball||UCCS vs. Cal Poly Pomona||Phoenix, Ariz.||12:30 p.m. MDT|
|Volleyball||UCCS vs. No. 17 UC-San Diego||Phoenix, Ariz.||5:30 p.m. MDT|
|Sunday, September 2|
|Women's Soccer||UCCS hosts West Texas A&M||Mountain Lion Stadium||2 p.m.|
- UCCS starts the 2012 season at the Grand Canyon Invitational in Phoenix, Ariz., on Friday and Saturday. The Mountain Lions will face two teams ranked in the AVCA Top 25 poll.
- Nikki Kinzer earned a spot on the RMAC Preseason Team as the Mountain Lions were picked to finish seventh in the coaches' poll and advance to the conference tournament.
- Head Coach Keith Barnett starts the season third in UCCS program coaching records with 50 in his first three seasons. He needs eight more wins to tie for second in program records.
- The Mountain Lions open the 2012 season in California with games against California State-East Bay and California State-Stanislaus on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.
- UCCS was picked to qualify for another RMAC tournament with a fifth-place pick in the preseason coaches' poll.
- All-RMAC Second Team selection Brett Drefs and Third Team pick Max Thomas lead the returners from the 2011 season, who led the Mountain Lions to the conference tournament quarterfinals.
- The Mountain Lions begin the season with new head coach Johnnie Keen. He was previously an assistant coach for Henry Ellis, who retired last season.
- Coming off the most wins in a season in program history. the Mountain Lions open the 2012 season with Fort Hays State on Friday in the home-opener and then are also at Mountain Lion stadium on Sunday against West Texas A&M in the first two of six home games to start the season.
- UCCS was picked to finish seventh in the RMAC
- UCCS will begin the fifth season in program history with head coach Nichole Ridenour.
- The Mountain lions return the RMAC defensive player of the week from Oct. 25 Jessica Taylor and also have six seniors including Taylor.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|xsl:value-of select="@CoachName" />||Head Coach|
|Additional News Stories|
|June 19, 2013||UCCS Athletics Records 18th Straight Semester with GPA Above 3.00||University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes maintained a term grade point average above a 3.00 for the 18th consecutive semester and 24 Mountain Lions earned a spot on the Dean's List or President's List for the Spring 2013 term.|
|June 10, 2013||Shaswar, Kinzer Earn RMAC Scholar-Athlete Awards||University of Colorado Colorado Springs seniors Mash Sashwar and Nikki Kinzer earned the RMAC Scholar-Athlete Award from the conference office.|
|June 6, 2013||UCCS Records Fourth-Best Learfield Cup Finish||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs recorded a pair of top 10 national finishes for the fourth-best finish in school history in the 2013 Learfield Sports Division II Directors Cup standings released this morning.|
|May 23, 2013||19 Student-Athletes and Assistants to Graduate Friday||When more than 1,100 students receive degrees at the Colorado Springs World Arena on Friday, 19 University of Colorado Colorado Springs student-athletes and assistants will be among the graduates|
|May 15, 2013||UCCS Matches All-Time Best Finish in RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs matched its best finish in school history with a sixth-place finish in the 2012-13 RMAC All-Sport Competition Cup announced today by the conference office.|