Vote for the Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group Athlete of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - University of Colorado Colorado Springs fans can provide their voice for the Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group UCCS Athlete of the Week. Voting will take place each week when the Mountain Lions are in action, and will take place throughout the UCCS Athletics social media platforms.
Voting for this week will end at 6 p.m., on Feb. 12, with the announcement to follow at 8 p.m. Fans can vote online through GoMountainLions.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/GoMountainLions, on Twitter at @GoMountainLions, and on Instagram at GoMountainLions. Fans can vote on each platform through Wednesday evening.
Fans will select the Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group Athlete of the Week between Derrick White of men's basketball, Jessika Kienitz of women's basketball, Becca Needler of softball, Jonathan Wright of men's track and field and Alexa Urban of women's track and field:
- Derrick White was the RMAC Offensive Player of the Week after he scored 38 points against Colorado State-Pueblo last Saturday in the Downtown Classic. It was the second-best performance in program history, and with an 11-of-14 performance at the free throw line, he moved into second in UCCS career records for made free throws.
- Jessika Kienitz led the Mountain Lion women's basketball team with 15 points, seven rebounds and five assists in a 10-point victory against the ThunderWolves downtown. She's been shooting 53 percent from the field in the last six games for UCCS.
- Becca Needler hit .385 as UCCS went 2-3 to open the 2014 season at the Desert Stinger Classic in Las Vegas. She went two-of-two with a double in a victory against No. 22 Augustana, and her .467 slugging percentage was second on the team.
- Jonathan Wright ran the leadoff leg on the 4x400-meter relay team that provisionally qualified for the national championships at the New Mexico Classic last Saturday. He also came with three-hundredths of a second of provisionally qualifying in the open 400 meters. He is ranked first in the RMAC and second in the record in the 400-meter dash.
- Alexa Urban provisionally qualified in the 800-meter run and finished fifth in a strong field at the New Mexico Classic last weekend. It was her second qualifying performance of the season after she was a member of the distance medley relay that qualified earlier this season at Colorado Mines.
The Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group is the largest and most comprehensive orthopedic group in Southern Colorado. Its 24 board-certified and -eligible physicians subspecialize in the treatment of sports medicine, hand and upper extremity, foot and ankle, back and neck, hip and knee, joint replacements, trauma care, and arthritis. With over 500 years of combined orthopedic experience, the surgeons at Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group are dedicated to providing state-of-the art, individualized and exceptional healthcare to all of its patients.
UCCS Players/Staff Featured
|Jonathan Wright||Sprints||Sr. / Sr.|
|Alexa Urban||Sr. / Sr.|
|Additional News Stories|
|March 1, 2014||UCCS Clinches Playoff Berth with Fifth Straight Win||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs women's basketball team clinched an RMAC Shootout berth with its fifth straight win of the season in a 62-43 victory against Metro State tonight in the Gallogly Events Center.|
|February 28, 2014||Kirchoff Ties Season Scoring Record in Win Against Rangers||Abby Kirchoff scored 28 points to match the University of Colorado Colorado Springs single season record for points in a season and led the Mountain Lions to a 84-81 win against Regis tonight in the Gallogly Events Center.|
|February 22, 2014||Mountain Lions Win Third Straight on Kirchoff's 21 Points||Abby Kirchoff scored 21 points for her 12th 20-point game of the season to lead the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (11-13 / 10-10 RMAC) to a 63-49 win against Black Hills State (12-13 / 11-10 RMAC) at the Donald E. Young Center tonight.|
|February 22, 2014||Mountain Lions Go for Sweep of Yellow Jackets Tonight||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs women's basketball team, winners of three of its last four games, will go for the season sweep of Black Hills State tonight when the Mountain Lions (10-13 / 9-10 RMAC) take on the Yellow Jackets (12-12 / 11-9 RMAC) at 5:30 p.m., in the Donald E. Young Center in Spearfish, S.D.|
|February 21, 2014||Mountain Lions Win 10th Game of Season in 81-73 Victory||The University of Colorado Colorado Springs used a 20-5 run early in the first half to take a 23-9 advantage nine minutes into the game and held off a Chadron State rally in the second half as the Mountain Lions (10-13 / 9-10 RMAC) defeated the Eagles (4-20 / 4-16 RMAC) 81-73 tonight in Armstrong Gymnasium.|